By Matthias Samuel
Nearly half (46%) of all weather-related car accidents — more than 700,000 a year worldwide — are due to rain. One should drive his vehicle carefully in rain, be more alert when driving in wet or slippery conditions. Watch out for brake lights in front of you, especially in these days when.
Since the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) has forecast rain in various parts of the Country these days, following are some tips to drive safe in rain;
- Slow down, don’t rush, tires can slip on a wet road in rain.
- Maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you.
- Avoid heavy braking because tires can skid and be a cause of an accident. Slow the vehicle by taking foot off the accelerator.
- Always drive your car with headlights on during rain.
- Make sure that the windshield wipers are in a good condition.
- If your car begins to hydroplane (a loss of steering or braking due to water on the road), do not brake or turn the wheel.
- Grip the steering wheel with both hands to maximize vehicle control.
- Defog your windows.