QUETTA, Pakistan: A powerful explosion took place in Quetta on Saturday that left at least 10 persons including three Frontier Corps (FC) personnel dead and nearly 40 others injured.
The rescue sources said that a convoy of FC personnel was targeted in the blast which occurred at Jinnah road near Manan Chowk. Three three vehicles were also destroyed in the blast.
GRAPHIC PICS, VIEWERS DISCRETION ADVISED: Quetta blast pics , 9 confirmed dead, nearly 30 injured pic.twitter.com/35k6bK7EdE
— Khalid Khan™ (@khalidkhan787) February 6, 2016
Meanwhile, the security forces reached the site and cordoned off the area while the rescue teams shifted the injured to Civil Hospital and Bolan Medical Complex (BMC) Hospital where an emergency had been imposed. The hospital sources said that five of the injured were in critical condition.
Talking to media, the Balochistan government spokesman Anwar Kakar said that it was a suicide blast. He confirmed that eight people including 10 FC personnel were killed.
The spokesman said that the attack could be a reaction to operations against terrorists. He said that the people stand by us in this war on terror, and Inshah Allah Pakistan will emerge victorious.
Just past the place a while a go where attack took place in Quetta. Horrible scenes; ordinary people targeted. Pls pray 4 injured. — Jan Achakzai (@Jan_Achakzai) February 6, 2016
Quetta: Pls pray—Fatalities are huge awaiting confirmation. Almost 600 LEA’s personnel mainly #FC have been martyred last couple of years.
— Jan Achakzai (@Jan_Achakzai) February 6, 2016
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the terror attack in Quetta and directed authorities to give best treatment to the injured. He also directed law enforcement officials to hunt down the culprits responsible for this terror attack.
One policeman martyred in Quetta
Separately, one policeman was martyred and three were injured in a firing incident at Sariab road in Quetta on Saturday.
The injured were shifted to the Combined Military Hospital.