ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: The federal government has deployed the Pakistan army across Pakistan under Article 245 of the Constitution to assist the civil administration battling with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic.
The Interior Ministry has issued separate notifications for the deployment of armed forces across the Country which state that the power to deploy the army has been exercised under Article 245 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and Section 131A of CrPC 1089.
The Pakistan army has been deployed through the Country including in the Federal Capital, Punjab, Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Balochistan, Gilgit-Baltistan, and Azad Jammu & Kashmir.
After Sindh, Partial lockdown imposed in Punjab
Meanwhile following the footstep of the Sindh and Gilgit-Baltistan governments, the Punjab government has also announced to impose a partial lockdown across the province for the next 14 days.
While addressing a Press Conference in Lahore on Monday, the Chief Minister Punjab Sardar Usman Buzdar said that the provincial government has decided to keep all the markets, shops, public transports and recreational places closed for 14 days in the wake of Coronavirus spread.
Usman Buzdar said that the partial lock down will take place in the Province from tomorrow morning at 9 am which will remain enforced till April 6.
“This is not a curfew nor lockdown
We are continuing with the existing restrictions imposed for #SocialDistancing, all basic services will be available
Finance Minister will present comprehensive” Social Safety Package” and Stabilisation Plan tomorrow” – CM Punjab @UsmanAKBuzdar pic.twitter.com/QA58EAtZDf
— Azhar (@MashwaniAzhar) March 23, 2020
Decisions announced by the Chief Minister Punjab Usman Buzdar;
- All the restrictions imposed already will continue for the next 14 Days
- Food-related services, takeaways, pharma, banks, medical services will be exempted from these restrictions.
- Public transport to be suspended.
- Pillion ride to be banned (except families in an emergency).
- Private vehicles will be allowed (with limited people).
- Private and government offices will be closed except Utility Companies like LESCO, Water And Sanitation Agency (WASA), & Lahore Waste Management Company (LWMC).
- Telecom Companies Head Offices will remain open, not Franchises.
- Grocery Stores to manage the crowd properly
- The government will ensure an uninterrupted supply chain of food items & the pharma industry.