The Emirates ID Card is an Identity Card issued by the United Arab Emirates’ (UAE) Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security (ICP) for all UAE citizens and residents including newborn babies.
It protects the individual’s identity and facilitates identification and verification as per international standards.
The Emirates or UAE ID Card is a legal requirement for all UAE citizens and residents to apply for one and carry it with them at all times.
The Emirates ID Card is used for the following purposes;
- To get government services
- To vote in the elections of Federal National Council
- As a travel document for UAE citizens to travel within the GCC
- As a document to pass immigration through the eGates and smart gates at several airports in the UAE.
UAE ID Card features
The Card consists of the following components which provide the highest levels of accuracy and security. The components are:
- Smart Card
- Public Key Infrastructure (Digital signature and authentication certificates)
- Fingerprint Biometric.
How to Apply for new Emirates ID Card
- You can apply for a new Emirates ID Card at the ICP website or through an accredited typing centre.
- You might need to visit one of ICP’s Service Centres to provide your biometric details.
- Refer to the ICP website for the application process, documents required and fees for getting an Emirates ID
- Next, track your Emirates ID application.