KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) on Wednesday night called off a sit-in it had been holding outside the office of the provincial Election Commission in protest against ECP’s decision to hold re-polling in 43 polling stations of the NA-250 constituency.
The decision came after MQM chief Altaf Hussain had appealed to the coordination committee to call off the sit-in by leaders and workers of the party.
The MQM chief said the protest should be postponed till the decision of the ECP on an MQM application seeking re-election in the entire NA-250 constituency.
Addressing the participants of the sit-in, the MQM leader Dr Farooq Sattar announced the postponement of the sit-in.
Sattar read out the message of Altaf Hussain in which he had asked the owners of television channels and anchors to forgive him if he had hurt their sentiments.
He said Altaf Hussain had congratulated PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif on winning the elections and said the MQM had accepted wholeheartedly the victory of his party. He urged Mr Sharif to also accept the mandate given by the people to the MQM.
The MQM chief also congratulated Imran Khan and other leaders on their parties’ electoral success.