Dead lizard found in Indian primary school in mid-day meal, 79 students ill

JAIPUR: A dead lizard was found in the mid-day meal at an Indian primary school, resulting in at least 79 children becoming sick after consuming the food. All are out of risk.

According to police, the incident occurred at the Upper Primary Government School in Banera town in Rajasthan’s Bhilwara district, some 250 km from Jaipur.

“After having the mid-day meal, several students, after seeing a dead lizard in the pot in which the meal was cooked, started complaining of nausea and stomach pain. It created a panic situation,” said an education department official.

“The students were rushed to various hospitals in the area from where they were discharged after primary treatment,” said Bhilwara’s chief medical and health officer (CMHO) R.C. Samaria.

Samaria added that all the children who consumed the meal were out of danger.

The school’s headmaster and the physical trainer, who was also mid-day meal in-charge, have been suspended following the incident, while three men involved in cooking the meal have been sacked.