Chinese woman dies from electric shock while answering her iPhone 5


XINJIANG: A Chinese female lost her life after being electrocuted while answering her iPhone 5 in China, while Apple said that it had started investigation into the incident,  media reported on Monday.

According to details, the 23-year-old Ma Ailun, a former flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, allegedly suffered a massive electric shock when she picked up her ringing smartphone while it charged.

Ma Ailun, who was planning her wedding on August 8, was rushed to hospital near her home in Xinjiang, northwest China, but medics were unable to revive her.

Her brother, Yuelun, told Apple Daily that the family believe she died from an electric shock while answering a call and that the phone and its accessories have been handed over to police.

Her sister then tweeted: ‘I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging.’

She said Ma Ailun had bought the iPhone in December at an official Apple store and was using the original charger to recharge the phone when the incident occurred.

Apple, who manufactures the state-of-the-art smartphone, said it was investigating the incident.

‘We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter,’ a spokesman for the technology company said.

Mobile phones have a relatively low electrical output of between 3 to 5 volts – much less than the 36 volts it takes for a person to feel a shock.

But experts say if the charger or the circuit has a problem, such as a broken wire, it can lead to a shock of 220 volts.

Johnny Sin Kin-on, a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, told the South China Morning Post: ‘There is a risk using an electrical device while its installed battery is being charged, be it a shaver or a phone.’

Asad Haroon
A netpreneur, blogger and above all; A Human 🙂 Asad tweets from @aghaasadharoon and can also be approached on Google+

Must read

Latest article

Enable Notifications for more content    OK No thanks