fbpx

Warner “lucky” to be available for Ashes: CA chief

-

LONDON: David Warner is lucky to be available for Ashes selection and the batsman’s attack on England’s Joe Root was “despicable”, according to Australian cricket board chief James Sutherland.

“I am here today to put my hand up and apologise to Joe. I’ve let my team-mates, family and everyone down,” the 26-year-old told a news conference.

Warner said he had exchanged text messages with Root and that his apology had been accepted.

Warner issued an apology on Thursday after being suspended until the first Ashes test on July 10 and fined A$11,500 for his part in the incident, which occurred early on Sunday after Australia’s Champions Trophy defeat by England.

He will miss the rest of title-holders Australia’s involvement in the Champions Trophy, starting with their final group game against Sri Lanka at London’s Oval ground on Monday — a match they must win to have a chance of reaching the semi-finals — and their two warm-up matches ahead of the Ashes.

However, he will be available for the first Ashes Test against England at Trent Bridge, Nottingham, which starts on July 10.

Warner said he was determined to play a role in the Ashes despite his second brush with the authorities in the space of a month.

Three weeks ago, he was fined Aus$5,750 over an expletive-ridden Twitter tirade at two Australian journalists.

 

Asad Haroon
A netpreneur, blogger and above all; A Human :) Asad tweets from @aghaasadharoon and can also be approached on Google+

Must read

Latest article