US expresses disappointment over cancellation of Pakistan-India talks

WASHINGTON: The United States has expressed disappointment over the cancellation of scheduled talks between the national security advisers of Pakistan and India.

On Saturday, the security talks between Pakistan and India were called off after New Delhi set pre-conditions and warned the Pakistani delegation not to meet Kashmiri separatist leaders when it will arrive there for August 24 talks.

US expresses disappointment over cancellation of Pakistan-India talks
US State Department Spokesman John Kirby

“We are disappointed the talks will not happen this weekend and encourage India and Pakistan to resume formal dialogue soon,” the US State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement.

However, the spokesman noted that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi had a constructive interaction in the Russian City of Ufa in July.

“We were encouraged by the constructive interaction between the leaders of India and Pakistan earlier this year at Ufa, particularly the announcement of dialogue between the countries’ National Security Advisers,” Kirby said.

Meanwhile in an interview, the Pakistan’s adviser on National Security and Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz has asked the international community to take notice of the cancellation of talks by India with Pakistan.

“Kashmir is part of all outstanding issues between Pakistan and India,” Sartaj Aziz said.

Sartaj Aziz said that if Kashmir is not an issue then why 700,000 Indian forces have been deployed in occupied Jammu and Kashmir.

The adviser further said that Pakistan is an atomic power and has the capability to defend its territory.