Lahore, Pakistan: Terrorist attacks increased in March 2025, and a single month reported 105 attacks- the highest since November 2014.
The effective response of security forces also increased during the said period, and hundreds of attacks were neutralized before execution.
The last week of March 2025 (March 21-27) was lethal regarding rising terrorism in Pakistan as Pakistan experienced the highest number of militant attacks recorded this year, with 35 incidents compared to 31 incidents during March 14-21, said a report of the Pakistan Institute for Conflict and Security Studies PICSS.
According to the report, Balochistan and erstwhile FATA saw a surge in violence, with a 133% and 50% increase, respectively.
The report indicated that the majority of attacks involved tactical assaults, target killings, IED explosions, and grenade attacks.
The report mentioned alarming information that the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has adopted cryptocurrency for fundraising, marking a shift from traditional financing methods such as hawala networks and cash transactions. This method offers anonymity and global reach, complicating counter-terrorism financing efforts.
Overall security situation in March 2025
March 2025 was the worst in the last 11 years as terror attacks crossed 105 attacks, the highest since November 2014, killing 228 people, including 73 security personnel, 67 civilians, and 88 terrorists. As many as 258 people were injured, including 129 security personnel and the same number of civilians.
Six suicide attacks were recorded in March 2025, the highest number in any single month in recent years. These attacks killed 59 people, including 15 civilians, 11 security personnel, and 33 terrorists, while 94 people were injured, including 56 security personnel and 38 civilians. Three attacks took place in Balochistan, two in the central districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and one in the former FATA (now merged districts).
The hijacking of the Jaffer Express on March 11 was a major incident for which the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) Bashir Zeb Group claimed responsibility. At least 26 hostages were killed in the incident, while 33 terrorists were also killed in the cleanup operation.
A total of 122 people were killed in Balochistan, including 40 civilians, 37 security personnel, and 45 terrorists, during March 2025. One attack was allegedly carried out by a female suicide bomber from the BLA Harbyar Marri Group (BLA-Azad), while the other was claimed by the BLA Bashir Zeb Group. No group has claimed responsibility for the BNP-Mengal rally blast.
At least 206 people were killed in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, including 49 security personnel, 34 civilians, and 123 terrorists in March 2025.
TTP also targeted Punjab in March 2025, with at least seven attacks reported. According to PICSS, these are the highest number of attacks in any single month in the past decade. Six of these attacks occurred in Dera Ghazi Khan, where the TTP is trying to strengthen its network. A total of six people were killed in Punjab, including three civilians and three terrorists. Punjab Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) arrested at least 22 people belonging to various militant groups, including members of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). All these arrests were made in Lahore city.