ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: The Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry has said that the Federal Cabinet has decided to block unregistered second-hand mobiles in the Country, and added that all smuggled mobiles will be blocked after December 31, 2018.
In a Press Conference in which he briefed the media about the Federal Cabinet meeting held on Friday in Islamabad, Fawad Chaudhry said that the meeting gave its approval to enforce a system to halt the use of smuggled mobile phones.
The information minister said that used mobiles worth of about Rs 2.5 billion are smuggled to Pakistan. He said that local mobiles should be encouraged.
وزیراعظم عمران خان کی صدارت میں وفاقی کابینہ کے اجلاس میں متعدد فیصلے ۔۔۔موبائل فون کی درآمد کو ریگولیٹ کرنے کا فیصلہ ۔۔۔ اکتیس دسمبر کے بعد سمگل شدہ موبائل فون بند کر دیئے جائیں گے ۔۔۔ کابینہ کی نیشنل بینک کے صدر کی تعیناتی کی منظوری ۔۔۔ pic.twitter.com/pCR1bxhJ3i
— PTV News (@PTVNewsOfficial) November 23, 2018
The minister also told that Arif Usmani has been appointed as the President National Bank (NBP).
Sources said that Arif Usmani has previously held a senior post in a private bank. They said that a summary containing three names were sent to Prime Minister Imran Khan, and out of those, consensus was reached on the name of Arif Usmani.
On August 31, the Federal Cabinet approved the removal of the then NBP President Saeed Ahmed Khan for his alleged involvement in money laundering, and appointed Tariq Jamali as the acting president of the national bank.
Earlier in the day, the Federal Cabinet which met in Islamabad on Friday with Prime Minister Imran Khan in the Chair to review the Country’s political, economic and security situation.