Quetta bombing should have been prevented if prior information about the attack was available: CJ

ISLAMABAD: The Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad observed on Wednesday that if the intelligence agencies had provided prior intimation regarding an imminent terrorist attack on Jan 27, then it was the duty of the police and FC to act for the prevention of such an incident, Dispatch News Desk (DND) reported.

His remarks came after the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) resubmitted its report in the Supreme Court during today’s hearing of the suo motu notice taken in the aftermath of the recent blast in Quetta.

The report submitted by the ISI said that the intelligence agencies had provided information of the Saturday’s Quetta bombing prior to the attack.

During the proceedings, the deputy attorney general informed the court that the cabinet secretary would appear in court on Feb 21 for the hearing of the case pertaining to the Hazara killings.

Meanwhile, the apex court summoned the Director General FC, CCPO Quetta, Balochistan’s home secretary and the secretary of interior and defence for the next hearing which was adjourned until Feb 21.

Earlier in the day, the court had rejected the first report of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) submitted by Defence Secretary Asif Yaseen Malik, and ordered for it to be re-submitted after amendments.

During the proceedings, the chief justice remarked that the court’s queries were not answered in the ISI report and that reports were sought from other agencies as well.

The Secretary Defence said that Military Intelligence (MI) has no role in this case and he further said that if the MI comes across any information only then it shares it with the ISI.

READ  Socio-economic life paralyzed across Pakistan as protests continue against Quetta massacre

DND

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.