LAHORE, Pakistan: The Punjab government has decided not to Celebrate Basant Festival this year, the Punjab Chief Minister’s Chief Spokesperson Dr. Shahbaz GiLL said.
In a Twitter message on Wednesday, Shahbaz Gill said that the provincial government will submit a detailed answer in the Lahore High Court (LHC) on Thursday.
The Spokesperson said that the government will ensure certain measures for safety of the masses in the future.
پنجاب حکومت کا بسنت نہ منانے کا فیصلہ
کل عدالت میں حکومت کی طرف سے تفصیلی جواب جمع کرایا جائیگا. مستقبل کیلئے حفاظتی اقدامات کی تیاری کی جا سکتی ہے
— Dr. Shahbaz GiLL (@ShabazGil) January 23, 2019
In December last year, the Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar voiced his keenness to restore the Basant festival, and also formed a Committee to analyse all aspects of the festival and submit recommendations to him.
However in the meantime, a petition was filed in the LHC against the Punjab government’s decision to lift the 12-year-old ban on Basant.
The Court was pleaded to bar the government from resorting to such initiative as it might again cause multiple casualties as well as damage to electricity lines.