ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: Pakistan has witnessed an increase in its total trade of halal food with Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Countries in 2017-18, the National Assembly was told.
The Minister for Commerce and Textile told the House that Pakistan’s total trade of the halal food with OIC Countries increased from US$ 226.97 million in 2016-17 to US$ 258.3 million in 2017-18.
The details of the trade between Pakistan and OIC Countries is as follows:-
The Minister for Commerce and Textile further told the National Assembly that Pakistan is promoting culture of Halal Food certification and from July 2019 Halal certification will be required for importers and local producers.
Exports of certain edible goods of Pakistan, India and Brazil is given below:-
In order to enhance the exports of Halal food Products to the OIC countries, the present government has taken the following steps:
- The 2nd meeting of Pak-Saudi Joint Working Group on Trade was held on September 5, 2018 at Islamabad to discuss Trade and investment opportunities in both the countries and prospects of export enhancement. During the meeting the issues of Ban on shrimps from KSA, registration of meat slaughter houses and companies was taken up with the Saudi Side. As a result, Six Meat exporting companies have been registered with the Saudi Food Drug Authority and are exporting meat to KSA.
- The 4th Session of Pak- Kuwait JMC was held on September 27-28, 2018 in Islamabad. During the meeting enhancing cooperation between the two countries in the field of Food and Agriculture was also discussed.
- 7th Session of Pak- Oman JMC was held in Muscat on January 30-31, 2019. During the meeting enhancing cooperation between the two countries in the field of Food and Agriculture was also discussed.
- Recently, three Meat Slaughterhouses (Fauji Meat, CATCO, Halal) in Pakistan have been registered by UAE. UAE’s technical team will visit Pakistan in near future for registration of two more Meat Slaughterhouses.
- Similarly as a result of the efforts of the mission in Bahrain three new companies were registered to supply meat in Bahrain which include M/s Fauji Meat, M/s Halal Meat and M/s Simply the Great Food (Pvt.) Ltd. in 2018.
- Iran has recently allowed its traders to import meat from Pakistan. Previously, it was importing meat only from Brazil but now this restriction has been removed. This year a number of Iranian companies have started business in the import of meat from Pakistan.
- An agreement for mutual recognition is under consideration between Department of Plant Protection (DPP) and Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS).
- Pakistan is participating in different fairs to promote its halal food exports to countries of OIC and other regions of the globe.