Pakistan sees double standard in war on terror

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: The Federal Minister for Defence Khawaja Muhammad Asif has said that double standard should not be adopted in war against terrorism.

In an interview, the minister said that the United States targeted Mullah Akhtar Mansour in a drone attack by violating Pakistan’s sovereignty but is not taking any action against Mullah Fazlullah who is carrying out terrorist attacks in Pakistan from Afghanistan.

The defence minister said that Pakistan has been fighting a successful war against terrorism and marked decline in terrorist activities is its best example.

The outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) Chief Mullah Fazlullah, who on multiple occasions admitted his involvement in subversive activities in Pakistan including the brutal attack on Peshawar’s army public school in December 2014, is reportedly residing in Afghanistan. However, despite Pakistan’s repeated calls for his arrest, the Afghan government has been reluctant to take any action against him.

Earlier this week, the United States launched a drone attack on Pakistani territory wherein a vehicle carrying the Afghan Taliban Chief Mullah Akhtar Mansour was targeted.

Pakistan on Thursday officially confirmed Mansour’s death in US drone strike but reiterated its stance that the drone attacks not only violate Pakistan’s sovereignty but the latest act has also undermined the Afghan peace process.

READ  Clean and Green Pakistan Index project to be launched in September: Amin Aslam

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.