ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: Parliamentary Secretary for Housing and Works Sajid Mehdi Friday apprised the National Assembly that no official accommodation had been constructed since 1995 due to imposing ban by the then government.
Replying to a supplementary question during Question Hour, he said pressure for allotting official accommodation increased manifold due to ban on the construction.
To a question, the Parliamentary Secretary said the allotments were being made to the federal government servants on maturity of their turn on general waiting list (GWL).
He said the government has abolished out of turn allotment and even the Prime Minister and the Federal Minister have also withdrawn their discretionary quota in this regard.
However, Mehdi said only one allotment on out of turn basis had been made to Ms. Kosar Parveen, Elementary School Teacher, Islamabad in 2014 keeping in view of her disability.
To a separate question, he said construction work of houses of various categories has been divided into 10 packages. Out of those 10 packages, the tendering process of six packages has been completed and their contractors were finalizing the formalities to mobilize at the project sites.
Tenders of remaining four packages have been floated in the newspapers on March 15, he said.