ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: Pakistan has regretted the hype created about the case of Mumbai attack’s main accused Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi as it is a sub judice matter.
“The case is progressing well but the media trial will not serve any purpose,” the Foreign Office spokesperson Tasneem Aslam said at her weekly press briefing in Islamabad on Thursday.
Earlier in the day, the federal government also challenged the suspension of detention of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in the Supreme Court.
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on December 29 suspended the notification of detention of Lakhvi. But the federal government in its petition filed in the apex court on Thursday argued that the High Court does not have powers to suspend the detention orders.
The Foreign Office spokesperson pointed out that Samjhota Express terror attack took place two years before Mumbai attack but no progress has been made in that case.
Tasneem Aslam said that the accused Swami Aseemanand, who had confessed his involvement and those of military officers and prominent leaders in the attack, was released on bail.
“It is disappointing that India has not shared any findings of the terrorist attack with Pakistan despite assurances at the highest level,” she said.
In reply to a question about the Indian firing on Shakargarh, the spokesperson said that Pakistan has lodged a strong protest with the Indian deputy high commissioner and also handed over a protest note containing details of the incident.
Two personnel of Pakistani Rangers were killed when the Indian border forces resorted to unprovoked firing ahead of a flag meeting ceremony in the Shakargarh sector of Narowal district on Wednesday.
The spokesperson said that our soldiers were asked for a meeting from the other side with white flags and then they were ambushed.
This, she said, is “Sheer violation of international laws and bilateral understandings.”
Tasneem Aslam said that Pakistan has demanded India to investigate the incident and give exemplary punishment to those responsible.
In addition, she said while talking about the future prospects of Indo-Pak dialogue that the Indian side cancelled the scheduled foreign secretary level talks and now onus lies with it to take the initiative.