NEW DELHI, India: The Indian government on Thursday expressed extreme disappointment after the Lahore High Court (LHC) suspended the detention orders of Mumbai attack suspect Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and ordered his release.
Earlier in the day, the LHC’s Justice Anwarul Haq ordered Lakhvi’s immediate release after the Punjab government failed to produce any proof against him.
In response, the Indian government said that Lakhvi’s release was extremely disappointing, and asked Pakistan to ensure terrorists like him do not come out of jail.
“Pakistan should immediately take all legal measures at appropriate forum to ensure that justice is delivered to the victims of Mumbai terror attack,” the official said.
The LHC in its verdict also directed Lakhvi, one of the key accused in the 2008 Mumbai attacks case, to submit Rs20 lakhs in surety bonds to Rawalpindi’s Adiala jail.
The 55-year-old Lakhvi is among the seven persons charged with planning and helping carry out the November 2008 Mumbai attacks that left 166 people dead.