DUBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has cleared Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal’s bowling action, allowing him to resume bowling in international cricket.
The 37-year-old Ajmal underwent a biomechanics test at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai on January 24.
The ICC also declared the bowling action of Bangladeshi right-arm off-break bowler Sohag Gazi legal.
“At the retests, it was revealed that the amount of elbow extensions in both the offspinners’ bowling actions for all their deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC regulations for the review of bowlers reported with suspected illegal bowling actions,” according to espncricinfo.com.
In a statement, Saeed Ajmal thanked the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for supporting him.
Saeed Ajmal said that he is doing practice, and will join the national team as soon as possible.
“I am not ready to play World Cup,” he said. However, he said that he is ready to play if selectors send him to Australia for mega event.
Earlier according to media reports, the team management of the Pakistan cricket squad in Australia has turned down the proposal of the PCB to include Saeed Ajmal in the squad if he gets cleared by the ICC.
“We don’t need Ajmal even if he gets cleared by the ICC for his bowling action,” is the reply of the team management, a key PCB official told media.
The official said that the PCB wanted the off-spinner’s induction as Pakistan faced problems with their bowling attack on their tour to New Zealand but the team management had other plans.
Saeed Ajmal was suspended by the ICC from bowling on September 9 last year after his action was deemed to be illegal for all deliveries.
Later, he underwent extensive remedial work on his action with former legendary off-spinner Saqlain Mushtaq.