What is a passport?
“A passport is a travel document, usually issued by a country’s government that certifies the identity and nationality of its holder primarily for international travel.”
So, now it is clear if you want to travel to any foreign country then you must have a Pakistani passport with you.
There are three types of passport.
- Ordinary passport
- Diplomatic passport
- Official passport
In this guide, we will tell you how to get ordinary Pakistani passport for the first time.
Pakistani passport Fee, Requirements and Procedure
What is an ordinary (machine-readable) passport?
It is the regular type of passport that could be issued to everyone who is eighteen or more than eighteen years old. As CNIC is prerequisite for this and CNIC could only be issued after the age of eighteen years. If the applicant is under 18 years old, then the Original Children Registration Certificate (Issued by NADRA) is the must. We will mention the whole list of required documents in the coming section.
How can we apply for an ordinary (machine-readable) Pakistani passport?
According to the current passport policy, the first new ordinary passport can only be applied at the regional passport office of the applicant’s residential city (which is mentioned on CNIC). However, this restriction has not been imposed on two groups.
- Government servants, armed forces personnel, employees of autonomous or semi-government bodies, corporations and their family members (wife, children, and the parents).
- Students could apply for an ordinary passport from cities other than their residence but only after providing the letter of recognition from the educational institution.
Which Documents are required for the new ordinary passport?
- Original Bank Challan (receipt) with prescribed fee deposits.
- Original Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC)/ National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistani (NICOP) /Smart-Card issued by NADRA with its 2-photocopies.
- OLD Passport with its photocopy, if issued.
- NOC in case of a Government Servant.
- Foreign Passport along with its photocopy, for Dual-Nationality holders only.
- Original Children Registration Certificate (Issued by NADRA) – If the applicant is under 18 years of age.
What is the validity of an ordinary passport in Pakistan?
- It can be either valid for five years or 10 years.
- For an applicant less than 18 years, only the passport with a validity of 5 years is issued.
What is the new Ordinary Pakistani Passport Processing Time & fee?
- Normal Ordinary Pakistani Passport: 10 days
- Urgent Ordinary Pakistani Passport: 4 days
The standard passport has three categories:
- 36 pages (standard).
- Frequent travelers can apply for a passport containing 72 or 100 pages.
The fee associated with each of them is also different. Let us have a look at the table given below.
Till now, we have told the prerequisites and fee associated with an ordinary Pakistani passport. Now move towards the final step. Let us help, that what you have to do at the passport office.
- Visit the regional passport office of the applicant’s residential city (which is mentioned on CNIC).
- Meet customer service representative & show them your original CNIC
- Your photograph will be captured there & you will be given a token number
- You will be called at your turn, get to the designated counter for bio-metric verification & data entry
- The assistant director will take your interview. Some general questions, like your intent for passport, etc.
- You will be given the passport application processing receipt from the delivery counter & your passport will be available at the same regional office within the specified time (as mentioned earlier).
We tried to explain each and everything in detail. Hope so no ambiguity is left now!