fbpx
Advertisement

Bus Rapid Transit System in Karachi to be partially completed by September 2016

KARACHI, Pakistan: The Bus Rapid Transit System, initiated under Karachi Master Plan, will be partially completed by September next facilitating an estimated number of 726,000 commuters on daily basis.

-

A meeting chaired by Governor of Sindh, Dr. Ishrat ul Ebad Khan at Governor House Wednesday was informed that the Mass Transit component of Karachi Master Plan comprises Rapid Bus Transit, Orange Line, Yellow Line, Brown Line and Circular Railway Schemes.

The seven corridor Karachi Mass Transit scheme, with series of relevant components, was cited to be materialized on the basis of public-private partnership.

It was mentioned that Rapid Bus Transit Scheme (RBTS) was being expedited at fast pace to urgently address problems faced by Karachiites in their daily lives due to inadequate transportation facilities required for the burgeoning city.

Provision for air-conditioned buses was said to be made for rapid bus transit project and each bus with a seating capacity of 34 were said to have separate compartments for women comprising 13 seats in each of the vehicle.

Sindh Secretary for Transport, Director General, Karachi Mass Transit Scheme and Director General Public – Private Partnership in their extensive briefing told the Governor that Yellow Line Scheme, Green Line Scheme and Public -Private Partnership was sponsored by the federal government.

Sindh government was said to be supporting Blue Line and Red Line schemes alongwith public-private partnership arrangement.

As for Orange Line scheme the official said this was being completed under Sindh government’s annual development program.

The Orange Line scheme to cover a 4.7 Kilometer long stretch, from Nazimabad to Guru Mandir will include four stations – each attached with a pedestrian bridge.

This is expected to be completed against Rs 21 crore and 77 lakhs and that six relevant companies have billed the tender so as to provide needed financial and technical support.

Governor Ishrat ul Ebad Khan was informed that work to remove utilities on the route will begin from Thursday with the motive to get these scheme completed in minimum possible time.

Yellow Line was said to cover a distance of 26.5 Km between Dawood Chowrangi and Numaish and will encompass Regal Chowk, FTC and Korangi Road with provision for activated section of flyovers and 24 stations of which 18 shall hold provision for parking.

As for Red Line officials said 85% share of its cost is to be met through loans provided by the Chinese government and remaining 15% based on funds arranged by the Sindh government.

Green Line to run on a 17 Km stretch between Surjani Town and Numaish via Hyderi will be operational by September 2016 at a cost of Rs.16 billion, providing transportation facility to 400,000 people.

The 18.4 Kilometer long Brown Line scheme will run between Nagan Chowrangi and Singer Chowrangi via Drigh Road, benefitting 726,000 commuters at an estimated cost of Rs.116 billion.

Sindh Governor was also informed that JICA has been communicated to share a time frame for Karachi Circular Railway so that work on it may begin without any further delay.

Source: APP

Mati
Mati
Mati-Ullah is the Online Editor For DND. He is the real man to handle the team around the Country and get news from them and provide to you instantly.

Must read

Latest article