ISLAMABAD: President Asif Ali Zardari would not resign before the end of his tenure nor would he contest for a second term of presidency, Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said in a press statement issued on Monday.
The presidential spokesperson said that President Zardari would soon return to the country after his private visit to London, however, he did not give Zardari’s schedule or arrival date due to security reasons.
Babar said that President Zardari would remain in the country even after the end of his term as president in September this year. He said that the opposition parties in the national assembly had not decided to field a consensus candidate yet.
Moreover, Farhatullah Babar also said that Bilal Sheikh was the security head of Bilawal house and not the president’s ‘front-man.’
The statement comes amid speculation in the media regarding a breach in President’s private security and the consequent diminishing prospects of his return to the country after the chief security officer of the president was killed in an attack in Karachi earlier this month.